CaribSea Purple-Up Coralline Algae Accelerator 8 oz
Purple Up - uses a unique dual method approach to coralline algae acceleration. This approach is so unique that Purple Up has been awarded a US patent. It contains ionic calcium; which immediately raises dissolved calcium levels in your aquarium water. At the same time Super Sea Calcium (a 10 micron aragonite powder derived from natural seawater) targets the live rock surface. This dissolves in situ; delivering calcium, strontium, magnesium, and carbonate right where it’s needed. Purple Up also replenishes iodine; an essential element for coralline algae tissues that quickly becomes depleted in closed systems. Purple Up is not a fertilizer, it does not promote the growth of nuisance algae. CaribSea Purple Up is used to grow coralline algae in marine aquariums and to boost calcium levels in reef aquariums. Accelerates desirable pink and purple coralline algae growth.
- Brings out the vibrant colors in your live rock!
- Wont encourage growth of nuisance algae.
- One bottle of Purple Up replaces multi-product recipes for coraline algae!
Unique, single-bottle formulation immediately raises dissolved calcium levels and targets live rock surfaces. Replenishes iodine levels and won't encourage nuisance algae growth.
Shake well before use! Add 1 capful (5ml) per 50 gallons no more than once daily. Place in the sump, near a powerhead outlet, or any high flow area of the system for rapid dispersal. Purple up will cause some temporary cloudiness. Check calcium levels regularly. Adjust dosage of purple up to maintain calcium levels between 380 ppm and 420 ppm (380 mg/l to 420 mg/l). Do not exceed 420 ppm on a regular basis or significant precipitation will occur. (important! Wait at least 1 hour after using purple up to test calcium levels or erroneously high calcium levels may be indicated.)
Factors for best coralline algae growth:
- PurpleUp does not contain coralline algae. Some living coralline algae must already be living on rocks or aquarium glass.
- high dissolved phosphate levels inhibit the growth of coralline algae (and corals) and favors the growth of nuisance algaes. Check phosphate levels and use PhosBuster or other products to lower phosphate levels if necessary.
- carbonate hardness levels should be maintained at natural seawater levels 2-2.5 meq/l or higher.
- high nitrogeneous waste levels encourage nuisance algae growth, keep nitrogenous waste levels in check.
- keep ph in the range of normal seawater (8.2).
- light spectrum in the range of 5500° Kelvin or higher favors the growth of coralline algae.
- grazing animals such as snails, tangs and reef friendly hermit crabs encourage coralline algae by consuming competing fast growing nuisance algaes.
- coralline algaes have a life cycle that determines the speed of formation of new colonies. Different species of coralline algaes may grow at different rates. It is not unusual to take several months for pink and purple coralline algaes to reach rapid growth rates.